Our Response to the National Chlorine Shortage
To our valued customers:
Summer is fast approaching and with it comes warmer weather and the opportunity to enjoy relaxing hours in your pool and hot tub.
Here at Litehouse Pools & Spas of Wooster, we want you to enjoy your experience by providing you with all the pool maintenance supplies and accessories your system requires. This includes the chemicals needed to keep the water fresh, clear and clean.
Many of you use chlorine-based agents in your system, and with that in mind, we want to make you aware of a current nation-wide supply issue that has affected our inventory level. Last summer’s fire at a Louisiana chlorine manufacturing plant following Hurricane Laura not only destroyed the company’s facility but also impacted its ability to continue to provide chlorine products. The company had previously supplied 60% to 80% of the chlorine tablets used in the U.S., leaving just two other companies to pick up the production slack.
COVID-19 has also strained the supply. Unable to travel due to the pandemic, many homeowners invested in their outdoor environment instead. This rise in sales of pools, hot tubs and spas meant a greater demand for pool-related chemicals.
What does this mean for you? Even though we ordered as much inventory as possible in advance of the summer 2021 season, we have significant orders outstanding. Our supply of chlorine-based water treatment products will soon be exhausted. However, we do have some alternatives for you to consider until our inventory returns to normal levels.
Options for Your Backyard Pool/Hot Tub System:
- FROG Leap uses minerals to destroy bacteria, reducing the amount of chlorine needed.
- BAQUACIL® CDX® pool care system is a chlorine-free formulation that keeps water clear, silky and soft.
- Non-stabilized calcium-based chlorine tablets are a popular choice for pool shock.
- Granular chlorine (both stabilized and unstabilized) dissolves easily in water and is available as both lithium hypochlorite and calcium hypochlorite.
- Salt chlorine generator convert dissolved salt into hypochlorous acid (HClO) and sodium hypochlorite, which cleans the water of dirt and bacteria.
If you have questions about any of the above products, contact us at 330-263-5000 or stop in our store at 2375 Back Orrville Road in Wooster and one of our experts will be happy to help.
There are also several steps you can take to reduce the amount of chlorine needed in your pool or hot tub.
Start with a proper balancing water chemistry, filtration and oxidation. Then use additives such as the following:
- Enzymes: removes organics from water, reduces chlorine demand
- Borates: reduces algae growth, softens water, and reduces chlorine demand
- Phosphates: reduces algae growth, and reduces chlorine demand
If you have any questions or need advice on maintaining your pool or hot tub, Litehouse is ready to provide you with expert assistance. Just call us at 330-263-5000!
We look forward to helping you enjoy the summer season in your pool or hot tub!